Monday, May 10, 2010

Cookin up a storm!

well.... okay I'm not cooking up a storm. I'm just making chicken gravy on rice but to be fair it's Brian's favorite. I'm waiting for the water to start boiling and I have the rice in the rice cooker so obviously it is not a difficult meal to make, but I am already LOVING having a real kitchen. For a basement apartment my kitchen is luxury. For the past two years I've gotten used to having no oven, only enough counter space for a pan and a few of my appliances and a small stove top. Now I have a full oven, a HUGE fridge and TONS of cupboard and counter space. I am in heaven! I was starting dinner and I thought to myself, "I can only imagine what a chef feels like in a small kitchen. It must be so frustrating to feel like you don't have enough room for your creative juices to flow freely. Definitely limiting, like giving VanGogh a little kid's paint set and a piece of paper. You know which paint sets I'm talking about, the water colors that have all the circles of different colors that turn all brown and muddy after you've used it two or three times. I hope that having this kitchen I will be able to find my creativity with cooking and maybe even enjoy it a little! So far I can only do the basics but I DO love to bake and always have, so it is a really big deal to me that I now have an oven. No more having to run upstairs to use my Aunt's while hoping she's not planning a big dinner or anything. Can't wait to see what happens, maybe I'll bake a pie after dinner.
ps.... anyone know how long you're supposed to boil chicken? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment