Thursday, September 1, 2011

sweet lullabies for babies

Today I got an email from Parent magazine of the top ten lullabies to sing to your little one.  They all consisted of things such as, rock a bye baby, hush little baby don't say a word..., and other classic lullabies we have all heard and come to associate with singing our child to sleep.  I had to kind of laugh a little as I thought of the songs that I have been singing to Legend since day one.  Don't get me wrong, we sing our fair share of kiddy songs while taking a bath or playing in the mornings.  Songs that MY mom learned from her mom such as, "skidamarinkadinkadink..." (however that word should be spelled), How much is that doggy in the window?, the "Jean Pier loves Anne Marie" song, and a few other silly, make you sound like a goon type songs. But the songs I like to sing Legend to sleep with are not quite so kid related but all in all, I think the lyrics are more fitting for the love you feel for your child than most traditional lullabies.  Some of my favorites include;
At Last
      At Last, My love has come along
      my lonely days are over, and life is like a song...
When I Fall in Love
      When I fall in love
      It will be forever
      Or I'll never fall in Love...
I Love You for Sentimental Reasons
      I love you, for sentimental reasons
      I hope you do believe me
      I've given you my heart....
Don't Ever Leave Me
      Don't ever leave me now that you're here
      Right here is where you belong
      Everything seems so right when you're near
      When you're away it's all wrong....
A Kiss to Build a Dream On
Dream a Little Dream of Me
and whatever other jazzy love songs I can come up with that particular night.
I also frequently try to sing Goodnight My Someone from "music man", selections from Wicked, and what few random words (along with some made up) that I remember from Les Mis selections. I decided to memorize the lyrics to my favorites in High School, when my never ending crush played the role of Jean Val Jean and I tried to live vicariously through all my friends who were much more daring than I when it came to acting, since I chickened out when my audition time came up.  I will regret that decision for the rest of my life. Now I'll never know.  I think I could have been Eponine.
Anyway, is my child any less loved or at all deprived because I choose to sing MY favorite songs to him at night? I think not.  In fact, if anything, I think I am helping him have a wider appreciation for a variety of music; mainly being old jazz love songs and a few broadway musical selections as well.
Now if only I could sing like Cosette....



No comments:

Post a Comment